Thursday, July 15, 2010

Homemade

When I first started cooking for my husband (before we were married), I was a below average cook.  I made things too spicy, or too salty, or too bland.  I made nakji bokum one night (many many years ago) and it was so spicy my husband couldn't feel his tongue after a few bites.  So for the longest time, I'd take the route of buying premade, frozen, or really easy to put together and can't mess up recipes.

Since then, with lots of practice, watching lots of different food/cooking shows, finding recipes online, advice from mother-in-law, I have become a much better cook and have started to really enjoy cooking homemade dishes.

One of my weekly "go to" recipes is a Pasta Pomodoro with fresh basil.  I love how easy it is to make and because it's fresh, it tastes that much better.  It's so easy too.  Olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, salt, and basil.  Tossed with some thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta and you have yourself a meal.  My kids love it.  Hubby's not big on carbs so he would rather pass but he can't avoid the fact that it's really good.

Last night I added some shrimp to the pasta sauce as our protein.  I usually make a side of chicken.  I cooked a whole box of pasta but still, we have no leftovers.  I love when that happens.  Makes me know that I made something good and fed my family well.

No comments:

Post a Comment